Penny Pinchers
A couple weeks ago I entered the local convenience store and bought a supply of breakfast to last me for a few days. The total came out to $40, at which point the cashier asked me if I would like a bag. I said yes, and she packaged up my things. I proceeded to hand her $40 and commence my exit, but as I did she shouted to me, "Si shi yi kuai!" In a state of total confusion, I walked back as she told me I was one kuai (dollar) short. I mindlessly handed her a dollar, then stumbled back to my room, all along the way wondering what the heck just happened.
Turns out this phenomenon is not only present at the local OK mart, but also at the 7-11 and Nikkomart, too. Why on earth are the cashiers making people pay for their bags???
Today I inadvertenly came across the answer (from--where else--Wikipedia). It reads:
"In order to protect the environment, a government policy rules that plastic bags cannot be given freely at stores in Taiwan, but have to be bought - bakeries being an exception as the items need to be hygienically wrapped. Re-useable canvas and nylon bags are sold at most supermarkets."
So apparently the ROC government knows the Taiwanese people are so cheap that most customers will balk at paying $1 (about three cents) for a plastic shopping bag, and assumes that will drastically cut down on consumption. Perhaps they're right. I'm curious to know the effects.
Turns out this phenomenon is not only present at the local OK mart, but also at the 7-11 and Nikkomart, too. Why on earth are the cashiers making people pay for their bags???
Today I inadvertenly came across the answer (from--where else--Wikipedia). It reads:
"In order to protect the environment, a government policy rules that plastic bags cannot be given freely at stores in Taiwan, but have to be bought - bakeries being an exception as the items need to be hygienically wrapped. Re-useable canvas and nylon bags are sold at most supermarkets."
So apparently the ROC government knows the Taiwanese people are so cheap that most customers will balk at paying $1 (about three cents) for a plastic shopping bag, and assumes that will drastically cut down on consumption. Perhaps they're right. I'm curious to know the effects.
Interesting, no?

<< Home