Monday, July 17, 2006

Pigeons, All of Them

In my short time here so far, I have learned, adjusted, experienced, and savored.

In a mere three weeks, I have been forever changed in some way, enriched by certain foods, cultural experiences, and historical occurrences. I have, in the words of my friend Julia, "gotten used to not knowing what I am talking about," in addition to getting accustomed to the consumer mindset and speed of this city.

What I have not and will never adjust to is the traffic scene.

Stoplights exist, but drivers pay no attention. Crosswalks exist, but pedestrians don't heed them. Motorcylists are sort of a cross between pedestrian and driver, so they just flat out don't care. Would someone please tell me what the point of street markings are, and how I haven't seen more flattened Taiwanese on the road?

More interestingly, the crosswalks here are all active at the same time. That is, instead of alternating and letting people cross with the flow of traffic, everyone crosses at the same time in all directions (even diagonally, it's pretty wild). However, some traffic is still supposedly allowed to make left turns during these crossings. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

And on subways, I feel like wearing a big sign that says, "You can't get in until I get out." The eager flock ready to embark at all costs lines the platform anxiously, and as soon as those doors open, it's everyone for themselves. Two equal but opposite forces are in motion, and if anyone knows anything about physics, that means there's a whole lot of energy spent and no one going anywhere.

That's all for this edition of the Shannon Report. Thanks for listening. Next time we'll have a special in-depth expose on night market shopping. How do you get those pesky store owners away, and what did it really cost to make those shoes? Stay tuned.