Friday, July 14, 2006

Yet Another Cultural Lesson

While I was perusing jade jewelry and trinkets last weekend at a stand in Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, I noticed each piece I purchased had a swastika engraved on it. I was at first taken aback, then realized it either 1) must be something slightly different than a swastika, and my brain is just associating it with the image because that’s all I know, or 2) it is in fact a swastika, but means something else than we in the West are accustomed to. Or I suppose the third choice is always possible, that all jade-sculptors everywhere are anti-Semitic, but I’m willing to bet that assumption is a bit extreme.


Upon doing some research and asking the locals, I found out that yes, I was correct, it is indeed a swastika. However, in China and other Asian countries it is found to be left-facing (but only starting in the 20th century), not right-facing. In Taiwan and China, it reads “wan,” meaning “ten thousand,” symbolizing long life and protection forever. I find it kind of insane how a mere mirror image transformation of a symbol on one hand can be associated with ethnic cleansing and one of the worst wars in history from one of the most ruthless dictators, or on the other hand, long-life and peace. The swastika is prominent in Buddhism, often in many scriptures, on the chest of Buddhist leader statues, or engraved upon the feet of Buddhist sculptures. In China, it is often found on vegetarian food indicating that it is fit for consumption by strict Buddhists, and it is also sewn into children’s clothing to protect them from evil spirits. In Japanese, it is known as “manji” and represents Dharma, universal harmony, and the balance of opposites.


It is also known in a myriad of other historical, religious, and cultural contexts, only one of which having to do with cold-blooded, multi-national 20th century warfare.


Who knew?