Monday, August 14, 2006

Chamois: The New Bubble Wrap

As I have to accept the fact that I need to start consolidating the mountain of things I have purchased here, I have commenced the process of packaging and prepping items for international shipment. I was at first worried about having to trek around town to find shipping materials, such as boxes, tape, and the little styrofoam cheetoh things, but the awesome thing about working in a lab is there are boxes in all shapes and sizes, and for free!

Before coming here, I was naively idealistic and was planning on riding all around the country. I brought my helmet, a bunch of cycling clothes, my shoes, and was making efforts to purchase a bike for a short period of time. Then I arrived, and realized everyone would just rather have cyclists flattened in the middle of the road, and my work schedule was hardly conducive to a training plan like that I have at home. The plus side? I have all my cycling clothes, which are amazing protective devices for wrapping breakables and other pottery artifacts purchased from Yingge. So while there is an excellent chance your gifts may be wrapped in my pants, don't be discouraged, because it really is an act of love.

In other news, my housing contract expires on August 22nd, one week from tomorrow. A new crop of kids are coming in for the year, and apparently every room is filled, which is why I can't stay. While inconvenient, I was notified of this upon move-in, so it came as no surprise. I was expecting to live in another dorm closeby for my last two weeks here.

This morning Miss Wu approached me and said that other dorm was also full, but there were places at the Activity Center at which I could stay. However, those ran $1200/night, and for two weeks, I wasn't crazy about the total. I mean, I would do what I had to do, but it kind of stunk. The other option was to live with John and Alice for two weeks in their apartment.

Hmm, what to do? I weighed the options carefully. While I certainly didn't want to be an imposition to the two of them, I figured that they wouldn't have made the offer if they didn't want me there. John is super nice and Alice is a kick in the pants, and it would be a lot of fun to get to know them better. But then I feel like I would have to be 'on' 24/7. But on the flip side, they are two insanely busy people who may not even spend that much time at home.

Then in my thought process came the deal-breaker, as I asked myself, 'Shannon, do you have any idea how many oyster omelets, pieces of peanut candy, and boba drinks you could buy with the money you'd be saving???'

I told miss Wu I would be happy to stay with the Yus.

Now I really better give the show of my life on Thursday.