Do I Have A Booger?
Well, do I???
No? Then STOP STARING AT ME!!!
Today my 'carpe diem' spirit took a beating. I wanted to be home. Not in my dorm, but home home. In America, with hamburgers and root beer floats and horribly shallow reality television and my bike. Since I am now entering my seventh week of residence here, the once new and novel things are becoming commonplace and expected, and in true typical Shannon fashion, the people are starting to really get on my nerves.
Exhibit A: I've acquired a sixth sense of recognizing penetrating stares from a distance. I don't know what it is or why, but I can feel the glares like laser beams. I've always gotten them here and there, but today there were either more than usual, or I was just more alert. Anyway, I usually brush it off, but today time and time again--on the subway, in a park, on the bus--I was just constantly stared at. Maybe it was boredom. Maybe it was curiosity. Maybe it was something else. But with my lack of patience, I said, okay, that's how you wanna play? Living up to my incredibly mature image, I stared right back every time, much like the contests I used to have (okay, still occasionally have) with my little brother. It took some of them a surprisingly long time to crack, but they finally did. I think the stares from the kids irritated me the most.
Exhibit B: I have always said one must pay attention to traffic here as if her life depends on it because well, quite frankly, it does. But today's scenario takes the cake, as I was almost flattened by a bus (and this isn't one of those hyperbolic, exagerrated 'I want to make a point' comparisons). Waiting for the crosswalk light to turn green like the rare, law-abiding pedestrian that I am, I proceeded to cross the street a good three or four seconds after it was 'safe.' The light gave me 80 seconds to cross, and I stepped down at second 76. Halfway across, a bus driver decides he wants to make a right turn, and nothing was going to stop him. Realizing that he didn't see me or just didn't care, I realized I has two options: I could either be right and dead, or concede and be alive. I couldn't just stay where I was, because the rear of the bus would eventually come around to hit me even if the front swerved. I sprinted back to the start of the crosswalk, uttering profanities and considering raising a certain finger, but then I wondered what the point would be. The driver either wouldn't understand, or moreover if he did, wouldn't care.
Anyway, the day started with a rough plan to check out Yangmingshan National Park. It is quite large and in the northern part of Taipei County, so I took the subway to Taipei Main Station and a bus ride from the station to the park. I checked the weather the night before and it had said sunny with some possible clouds. Apparently I don't know the common lingo here that 'sunny' means 'not' and 'possible clouds' means darkness and scattered thunderstorms. I arrived at the park without an umbrella and low on energy to begin with. I trekked up to the Visitors Center to grab a map, and the whole way it rained off and on. I decided this was ridiculous, and after acquiring some informational materials (hey, at least I know exactly how and when to start my journey next time), made my way back down the trail to the bus station to turn around and head back home. I was not about to climb moutains in the mud with random storms and no way of shielding myself. There's a fine line between spunk and stupidity, and engaging in something like that teeters towards the latter.
But since nothing but sheer boredom awaited me in my dorm room, I decided to head over to Taipei 101 and perhaps catch a movie. Apparently everyone in the universe had the same idea, because upon entering Taipei 101 there were more people than I had seen the previous times I had gone. I headed over to the Warner Brothers Cinema Village to see if there were any films that were timely or remotely appealing.
I checked out the movies, which were listed both in Chinese and English, and decided an animated flick would really hit the spot, so I requested 'Over the Hedge.' Well, apparently the trend here is to advertise in English but then not understand the English when someone actually asks for it. The young woman to whom I placed my order was either an idiot or didn't understand me, but in all likelihood was an idiot who didn't understand me. I could only say 'Hao, wo yao kan 'Over the Hedge'' so many times to a blank face, so in my frustration grabbed a flyer and pointed to the movie. She nodded, and then asked me what time I wanted to see it. It was 4:05 at the time and there happened to be a 4:00 showing, and I asked if I could still make it, and she said I could. I was really happy, and sprinted over to the appropriate screen. I took my ticket out, only to find that I instead had a date with a 6:05 pm showing of 'Lake House.' So I was stuck killing time for two hours to see a movie I didn't have any previous desire to see. And to make things worse, as I was fruitlessly running to catch the 'Over the Hedge' screening, I noticed self-serve ticket machines where you could swipe your credit card, with which I could have avoided the whole fiasco. At least I know for next time, maybe next weekend.
But you know what really freaked me out? I didn't know this at the time, but apparently the movie tickets here are like those at sporting events. You have a row and seat number and everything. I guess that makes things easier so you don't have to scramble looking for seats, but I didn't realize this until a whole bunch of people were coming in. I just happened to pick the most appealing seat out of the hundreds that were there. So I nervously look at my ticket and look for my designated seat: Row M, Seat 12. I hastily looked around to discover I was already in row M. Whew, that's convenient, I thought. Now I just have to move over left or right. I knew I was three from the end, and it started with 14. I counted down: 14, 13, 12. Bam, I was already sitting right where I should be. Did I knowingly do this? Absolutely not. I hadn't even noticed the seats or rows until I saw people looking at their tickets. What does this mean? It couldn't have been a coincidence. But then of all the signs out there, this didn't really have much meaning at all...or did it? If you have any suggestions or know any fortune-tellers, please let me know.
After the movie I ate at an overly-priced restuarant called 'LA Cafe' that really wasn't that great. I had a tuna salad something or other, and given the size of it, was definitely on the expensive side (but I guess they know they can get away with that in touristy, metropolitan zones). Following dinner I made my way back to the MRT station and along the way drifted into some department stores, but you can only shop so long before you start to feel completely empty inside. I don't know how these people do it.
So no pictures. Maybe there will be next weekend if I can get back to Yangmingshan and the weather is better. After my brief visit with the park, I've decided to scrap any plans for the 4-hr train ride to Hualien. There is so much to see in this park that I can easily spend a few days there, and I can avoid all the nervousness of a potential overnight trip on the eastern coast. I don't doubt the beauty and majesty of Taroko Gorge, but I also don't want to go alone and be stranded 4 hours away from my home base. Perhaps another time.
And on a completely unrelated note, props to my gender for finally coming around.
No? Then STOP STARING AT ME!!!
Today my 'carpe diem' spirit took a beating. I wanted to be home. Not in my dorm, but home home. In America, with hamburgers and root beer floats and horribly shallow reality television and my bike. Since I am now entering my seventh week of residence here, the once new and novel things are becoming commonplace and expected, and in true typical Shannon fashion, the people are starting to really get on my nerves.
Exhibit A: I've acquired a sixth sense of recognizing penetrating stares from a distance. I don't know what it is or why, but I can feel the glares like laser beams. I've always gotten them here and there, but today there were either more than usual, or I was just more alert. Anyway, I usually brush it off, but today time and time again--on the subway, in a park, on the bus--I was just constantly stared at. Maybe it was boredom. Maybe it was curiosity. Maybe it was something else. But with my lack of patience, I said, okay, that's how you wanna play? Living up to my incredibly mature image, I stared right back every time, much like the contests I used to have (okay, still occasionally have) with my little brother. It took some of them a surprisingly long time to crack, but they finally did. I think the stares from the kids irritated me the most.
Exhibit B: I have always said one must pay attention to traffic here as if her life depends on it because well, quite frankly, it does. But today's scenario takes the cake, as I was almost flattened by a bus (and this isn't one of those hyperbolic, exagerrated 'I want to make a point' comparisons). Waiting for the crosswalk light to turn green like the rare, law-abiding pedestrian that I am, I proceeded to cross the street a good three or four seconds after it was 'safe.' The light gave me 80 seconds to cross, and I stepped down at second 76. Halfway across, a bus driver decides he wants to make a right turn, and nothing was going to stop him. Realizing that he didn't see me or just didn't care, I realized I has two options: I could either be right and dead, or concede and be alive. I couldn't just stay where I was, because the rear of the bus would eventually come around to hit me even if the front swerved. I sprinted back to the start of the crosswalk, uttering profanities and considering raising a certain finger, but then I wondered what the point would be. The driver either wouldn't understand, or moreover if he did, wouldn't care.
Anyway, the day started with a rough plan to check out Yangmingshan National Park. It is quite large and in the northern part of Taipei County, so I took the subway to Taipei Main Station and a bus ride from the station to the park. I checked the weather the night before and it had said sunny with some possible clouds. Apparently I don't know the common lingo here that 'sunny' means 'not' and 'possible clouds' means darkness and scattered thunderstorms. I arrived at the park without an umbrella and low on energy to begin with. I trekked up to the Visitors Center to grab a map, and the whole way it rained off and on. I decided this was ridiculous, and after acquiring some informational materials (hey, at least I know exactly how and when to start my journey next time), made my way back down the trail to the bus station to turn around and head back home. I was not about to climb moutains in the mud with random storms and no way of shielding myself. There's a fine line between spunk and stupidity, and engaging in something like that teeters towards the latter.
But since nothing but sheer boredom awaited me in my dorm room, I decided to head over to Taipei 101 and perhaps catch a movie. Apparently everyone in the universe had the same idea, because upon entering Taipei 101 there were more people than I had seen the previous times I had gone. I headed over to the Warner Brothers Cinema Village to see if there were any films that were timely or remotely appealing.
I checked out the movies, which were listed both in Chinese and English, and decided an animated flick would really hit the spot, so I requested 'Over the Hedge.' Well, apparently the trend here is to advertise in English but then not understand the English when someone actually asks for it. The young woman to whom I placed my order was either an idiot or didn't understand me, but in all likelihood was an idiot who didn't understand me. I could only say 'Hao, wo yao kan 'Over the Hedge'' so many times to a blank face, so in my frustration grabbed a flyer and pointed to the movie. She nodded, and then asked me what time I wanted to see it. It was 4:05 at the time and there happened to be a 4:00 showing, and I asked if I could still make it, and she said I could. I was really happy, and sprinted over to the appropriate screen. I took my ticket out, only to find that I instead had a date with a 6:05 pm showing of 'Lake House.' So I was stuck killing time for two hours to see a movie I didn't have any previous desire to see. And to make things worse, as I was fruitlessly running to catch the 'Over the Hedge' screening, I noticed self-serve ticket machines where you could swipe your credit card, with which I could have avoided the whole fiasco. At least I know for next time, maybe next weekend.
But you know what really freaked me out? I didn't know this at the time, but apparently the movie tickets here are like those at sporting events. You have a row and seat number and everything. I guess that makes things easier so you don't have to scramble looking for seats, but I didn't realize this until a whole bunch of people were coming in. I just happened to pick the most appealing seat out of the hundreds that were there. So I nervously look at my ticket and look for my designated seat: Row M, Seat 12. I hastily looked around to discover I was already in row M. Whew, that's convenient, I thought. Now I just have to move over left or right. I knew I was three from the end, and it started with 14. I counted down: 14, 13, 12. Bam, I was already sitting right where I should be. Did I knowingly do this? Absolutely not. I hadn't even noticed the seats or rows until I saw people looking at their tickets. What does this mean? It couldn't have been a coincidence. But then of all the signs out there, this didn't really have much meaning at all...or did it? If you have any suggestions or know any fortune-tellers, please let me know.
After the movie I ate at an overly-priced restuarant called 'LA Cafe' that really wasn't that great. I had a tuna salad something or other, and given the size of it, was definitely on the expensive side (but I guess they know they can get away with that in touristy, metropolitan zones). Following dinner I made my way back to the MRT station and along the way drifted into some department stores, but you can only shop so long before you start to feel completely empty inside. I don't know how these people do it.
So no pictures. Maybe there will be next weekend if I can get back to Yangmingshan and the weather is better. After my brief visit with the park, I've decided to scrap any plans for the 4-hr train ride to Hualien. There is so much to see in this park that I can easily spend a few days there, and I can avoid all the nervousness of a potential overnight trip on the eastern coast. I don't doubt the beauty and majesty of Taroko Gorge, but I also don't want to go alone and be stranded 4 hours away from my home base. Perhaps another time.
And on a completely unrelated note, props to my gender for finally coming around.

<< Home