Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Good Morning, Good Morning

One thing that I've noticed during my tenure here is that Taiwanese who want to see if their English really works practice it on me. Nothing sophisticated--just hello, how are you, thank you--but one thing they seem to love to say is 'Good Morning!' I mean, they really love to say it.

And here's what cracks me up: they say it allll the time. I think it's cute, but I'm not ready for it. When I was at the Gongguan Night Market last Friday night and standing in line for the secret-no-photography-allowed snacks, a young worker in the stall next door kept yelling, 'Good morning, good morning!' He was so excited, and I couldn't imagine who he was talking to because it made no sense and I had automatically tuned it out. I finally turned around, and there he was, big grin and all, with, 'Hello! Good morning!' Never mind it was 6:30 pm. It was a good morning all the time.

In the last week, I've come across it more and more. When I go to the convenience store to buy my cereal in the morning, I get it, and expect it. But I also get it at the occasional lunch hour, afternoon snack, and my personal favorite, dinner sit-downs. But no matter. Even if they are 12 hours or more off, or even if they have no idea what exactly they should be saying, they are making an effort nonetheless. And I have to remind myself, for every cranky old lady who yells at me for not offering enough kuai for a skirt, or an ornery pair who growl at me for taking a photo, there are a whole bunch of others out there who are nice and very receptive to the fact I am trying, just as I am receptive to the fact they are trying. All in all, it's a society like anywhere else, with those who want you to go back where you came from, as well as those who welcome you with the open arms of hospitality.