I Want To Shoot Something
But before I get to why, I should proceed in chronological order.
One activity I have been meaning to do before my departure is visit Beitou and Xinbeitou, a historic area noted for its hot springs. I also considered paying a visit to a hot spring myself, but it really doesn't hold much appeal when the water temperature is close to matching the outdoor temperature. It is definitely more of a winter pasttime.
Despite the decision of not soaking in a hot spring, there were plenty of sites and historical things I wanted to see, so I expected to have more than enough activities to keep me occupied. After disembarking from the subway after 3 transfers, I made my way to the old part of town, first stopping at the Xinbeitou Hot Springs Museum. (For more info on hot springs, click here.)
Here is an intro that I have copied from the brochure:
In June of 1913 the government of Taipei prefecture opened a public bathhouse that had been built as a replica of a facility in Mt. Ito, Japan. It was the largest such facility of the time in East Asia. However, after many years of operation and changes of management the bathhouse had ceased offering its services, and the place became steadily more dilapidated.
In 1994 a group of primary school teachers and students came to explore this neglected hulk as part of their studies on a native island culture, thereafter initiating a petition asking the authorities to take the lead in resurrecting te site. Sympathetic local public figures stepped in, and finally on Februaru 20, 1997 the Ministry of the Interior declared the bathhouse a Historical Relic of te Third Class. After a period of thorough restoration, on 31 October, 1998 the bathhouse reemerged as the Peitou Hot Spring Museum.
It was also the first place I had been where one had to take off her shoes and walk around in lender slippers to view the building. I guess it's all part of the Japanese tradition.
One activity I have been meaning to do before my departure is visit Beitou and Xinbeitou, a historic area noted for its hot springs. I also considered paying a visit to a hot spring myself, but it really doesn't hold much appeal when the water temperature is close to matching the outdoor temperature. It is definitely more of a winter pasttime.
Despite the decision of not soaking in a hot spring, there were plenty of sites and historical things I wanted to see, so I expected to have more than enough activities to keep me occupied. After disembarking from the subway after 3 transfers, I made my way to the old part of town, first stopping at the Xinbeitou Hot Springs Museum. (For more info on hot springs, click here.)
Here is an intro that I have copied from the brochure:
In June of 1913 the government of Taipei prefecture opened a public bathhouse that had been built as a replica of a facility in Mt. Ito, Japan. It was the largest such facility of the time in East Asia. However, after many years of operation and changes of management the bathhouse had ceased offering its services, and the place became steadily more dilapidated.
In 1994 a group of primary school teachers and students came to explore this neglected hulk as part of their studies on a native island culture, thereafter initiating a petition asking the authorities to take the lead in resurrecting te site. Sympathetic local public figures stepped in, and finally on Februaru 20, 1997 the Ministry of the Interior declared the bathhouse a Historical Relic of te Third Class. After a period of thorough restoration, on 31 October, 1998 the bathhouse reemerged as the Peitou Hot Spring Museum.
It was also the first place I had been where one had to take off her shoes and walk around in lender slippers to view the building. I guess it's all part of the Japanese tradition.
After the museum, I continued on my way in search of Hell Valley and the Taiwan Folk Art House. Along the way I also found signs to a Japanese temple I had heard of, so I took a 'slight' detour. I walked up a mountainous windy hill on which I saw no other pedestrians, and for good reason; anyone with half a mind was on a motorcycle or in a car. Sweating like crazy, I continued onward because I thought this Japanese temple would well be worth it. After twist and turns forever and an endless incline, I finally reached the top, only to discover more stairs to the temple entrance. I conquered the last step and looked up, only to discover a rather unimpressive temple. I didn't think there was anything much special about it, and wondered why on earth I had just put myself through that madness to only get this out of it.
A girl practicing her flute during my walk. She was pretty good, and it was nice to have music to get my mind off how ridiculously hot it was. Listen to a clip (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to rotate it).A few minutes later after catching a breather, I made my way back down the mountain in search of the real temple and Taiwan Folk Arts Museum. I went searching for the latter first by following the signs. I proceeded according to directions, and after walking quite awhile, could not find it. I backtracked and briefly stopped in a hotel (not a glam Western resort, but think Bates Motel does Taiwan) and asked for help. The woman in charge of the counter, besides being obviously annoyed I had interrupted the viewing of her soaps, told me to turn left and keep walking, which is the way I had been going. I figured I was on the right path but I just hadn't gone far enough.
As I proceeded with my journey, I came across two natives getting out of a taxi. They asked me where I was going, and I pointed to a map and asked if they knew how to get there. The lady told me to turn around in the oppostie direction and follow some road until I came to a big park. I was thinking I was really lucky to have run into her and have her tell me such a thing, because I never would have found it on my own. Or so I thought.
After meandering countless roads, I eventually found myself at full circle, with me intersecting the road on which I had started the day. I said, 'screw it,' and simply followed the road back in to the main part of town. In doing so, I passed a small staircase. Curious, I followed it and it took me to the park area the lady was talking about. Of course, there was no Taiwan Folk Arts Museum, but there was a very large hot spring, which I probably wouldn't have otherwise stumbled upon. I took in the scenery for a couple minutes, and then proceeded to find anywhere I could put something--nearly anything--in my stomach as I was completely frustrated, tired, and all-around starving.
Sitting at the table in a hole-in-the-wall food place, I considered whether or not I really wanted to find the Japanese temple and Folk Arts Museum. I was inclined to say no, but two thought processes reaffirmed my commitment. The first was that those two places had been on my to-do list, and were one of the reasons I had decided to go to Xinbeitou in the first place. Why on earth would I make such a trek with 3 subway transfers and then leave without making an effort to find the locations? (Although I certainly had made an effort.) Second, I don't like to lose. I don't like to be beaten, admit defeat, give up, or show any signs of not following through. Of course, this is common knowledge, so I told myself to get it together because I wasn't getting on that train until I found these destinations.
As I proceeded with my journey, I came across two natives getting out of a taxi. They asked me where I was going, and I pointed to a map and asked if they knew how to get there. The lady told me to turn around in the oppostie direction and follow some road until I came to a big park. I was thinking I was really lucky to have run into her and have her tell me such a thing, because I never would have found it on my own. Or so I thought.
After meandering countless roads, I eventually found myself at full circle, with me intersecting the road on which I had started the day. I said, 'screw it,' and simply followed the road back in to the main part of town. In doing so, I passed a small staircase. Curious, I followed it and it took me to the park area the lady was talking about. Of course, there was no Taiwan Folk Arts Museum, but there was a very large hot spring, which I probably wouldn't have otherwise stumbled upon. I took in the scenery for a couple minutes, and then proceeded to find anywhere I could put something--nearly anything--in my stomach as I was completely frustrated, tired, and all-around starving.
Sitting at the table in a hole-in-the-wall food place, I considered whether or not I really wanted to find the Japanese temple and Folk Arts Museum. I was inclined to say no, but two thought processes reaffirmed my commitment. The first was that those two places had been on my to-do list, and were one of the reasons I had decided to go to Xinbeitou in the first place. Why on earth would I make such a trek with 3 subway transfers and then leave without making an effort to find the locations? (Although I certainly had made an effort.) Second, I don't like to lose. I don't like to be beaten, admit defeat, give up, or show any signs of not following through. Of course, this is common knowledge, so I told myself to get it together because I wasn't getting on that train until I found these destinations.
One of the main Beitou Hot Springs. Look closely and you can see the steam coming off the water. For a more detailed shot, check out the video.Exiting the restaurant, I wondered how I was going to find the temple, when suddently, two pedestrians caught my eye walking down a hillside. Interestingly, it didn't seem like a naturally made path, implying it was put there for a reason. Could it be...because there is a temple? When walking out of the restaurant, I wondered how on earth I was going to find the temple, seeing as the signs were, well, worthless. Apparently 'right' is synonymous with 'behind you,' so it was clearly my own fault for following directions. As I proceeded, two pedestrians caught my eye coming down a hillside. The walkway did not seem natural, implying that it had been placed there for a reason. I embarked the staircase, with a bunch of normal houses and residences on my left. However, the right side wound through trees, and lo and behold, at the top was the Pugi temple. Task #1 completed!
Incense-holding sculpture at temple entrance, again indicative of the Japanese influence of the area.After checking out the temple, there was only one more thing to do, and that was to find the ever-elusive museum. I decided to ignore all the advice I had received that day and go back to basic common sense and intuition. I proceeded as I had in the first place, and simply went farther. About a few feet from where I had stopped the first time was a steep turn in the road, and if I had taken five extra steps I would have seen another sign for the museum with a directional arrow. Enheartened that I was on the right track, I continued, upwards and more upwards, until I eventually saw it. At last, I had reached my destination!
It grew closer, and I approached the sign. As I did, my heart sank when I saw this:
It grew closer, and I approached the sign. As I did, my heart sank when I saw this:
Evidence that I must have done something horrible in a past life.I sat down and had already lost way too much water to cry, so I settled for the next best thing to utter various four-letter words and convert them to every possible part of speech. The real kicker was that I turned around and found a Buddhist monk training center behind me. I'm sure they didn't hear me and I'm sure they couldn't understand if they did, but I feel like my karma, if not already obviously fragile, was sure to be severely damaged goods now.
I made my way back to the MRT station, further blistering my pinky toes with each step, and arrived at the 7-11 at which I had started and downed another milk tea. It was only around 3:00, but I was absolutely exhausted. I returned home, flopped on my bed, and bonded with ER and ebay.
So another weekend is completed in its traditional dysfunctional glory (is there really any other kind?) and I find myself with two weekends left. However, I must act as if next weekend is my last, as I might have more than I anticipated to prepare for the weekend of my departure. If I go anywhere, it will most likely have to be local (I smell Taipei 101). Until then, I will be keeping myself busy with article research, vector construction, and the ever-elusive ebay search of bitchin' 60s vintage clothes.
I made my way back to the MRT station, further blistering my pinky toes with each step, and arrived at the 7-11 at which I had started and downed another milk tea. It was only around 3:00, but I was absolutely exhausted. I returned home, flopped on my bed, and bonded with ER and ebay.
So another weekend is completed in its traditional dysfunctional glory (is there really any other kind?) and I find myself with two weekends left. However, I must act as if next weekend is my last, as I might have more than I anticipated to prepare for the weekend of my departure. If I go anywhere, it will most likely have to be local (I smell Taipei 101). Until then, I will be keeping myself busy with article research, vector construction, and the ever-elusive ebay search of bitchin' 60s vintage clothes.

















<< Home