Sunday, August 13, 2006

I'm 22. Ewww.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their warm birthday wishes and facebook wall posts. It's nice to be reminded just how many wonderful friends I am so lucky to have.

Because I lost my camera for the weekend (I'm praying it's in my lab drawer), I didn't want to pay a visit to a location that I desired pictures of, which is to say pretty much anywhere. I was extremely bummed I couldn't take photos yesterday of the culinary exhibits, but of all the things not to have pictures for, I figured that would be the most bearable. So today I went back to Taipei 101 yet again, this time to see 'Miami Vice.' It's got violence, sex, drugs, fast boats, sexy cars, and lots of blowing tings up. I loved it, despite my intense dislike of Colin Farrell. Was it a quality film that openend my eyes to the world in some way? Hardly, although some noteworthy critics gave it some good reviews. Teenage boys will love it, though.

Before and after the movie, I wandered around aimlessly in shops to kill time. I think I can now say with full confidence that I have been to every store at least once in that place. And if you've been there or seen it firsthand, that is no small feat. The highlight of my day was the purchase of a $100 pair of pants for $50. Oh and I did buy a new book on the politics and concepts of genetically modified foods in the Third World and a new CD. The CD is called 'Cello and The Jazz Piano Trio' and the cellist is I-Ting Chen. It caught my eye at another store recently and when standing in line to check out, I noticed the copy was autographed. It's an interesting mix of Bach and jazz, with segues from preludes and the like into piano lines. Pretty cool stuff.

Aside from purchasing the book and music, I just hung out at the Eslite Bookstore. I don't know why, but whenever I'm blue, bookstores always make me feel better. Maybe it's all the like-minded people in one place and the often good music in the background, but they are like my mother ships. The Eslite Bookstore is four or five stories, and possesses quite a good English collection, as well as a small wing devoted entirely to Japanese books. On the top floor was a vendor selling Tin-Tin stuff, and I got so excited because I remembered how much I loved that cartoon during its short lifespan on television in the states. When I returned home I did some online research and apparently it started as a French comic, so now I want to find the original French comics and try to read them myself. Living in Taiwan and improving my Chinese just reinforces my desire to become as fluent as I can in as many languages as possible (and that starts with reading a menu).

After eating dinner on the lower level of the bookstore, I went up a couple floors to the cafe and ordered myself a piece of cake. It was relatively empty but I sat and looked out the window upon the lit buildings as I nibbled on my chocolate treat. As I paid, I spoke a little bit with the cashier, who again was about my age, and once she realized I knew a little something more than 'Thank you,' our conversation opened up. A few minutes later I was on my way back home, where I played my new CD and started my new book on GM foods (that's lingo for 'genetically modified,' by the way).

So all in all, not an awful day, but nothing special or exciting. But this way, I guess I get two birthdays, one here and one in America. So when I wake up tomorrow, it will be my birthday again. How often does one get to experience that?