Wednesday, August 30, 2006

NAKED

Now that I have your attention...

The anecdote of the day is drawn from tonight's material. I returned home slightly before Alice and John this evening, and wolfed down some food and hopped into the shower. As I sat in the bathtub, I heard the front locks being undone, but then I didn't hear anyone come in.

Over the last few days, they have seemingly had issues unlocking the front door after I have locked it. I have no idea how I could possibly lock a door in a wrong way, but apparently I have undiscovered talents.

As I lay in the warm water, I heard more rattling, but no voices. Finally, I heard the doorbell, not once, but twice.

I leapt out of the bathtub in a whirlwind of chaos, trying to dispel myself of any and all water droplets still attached to my body.

Next I heard the phone ring. It was undoubtedly John and Alice trying to get in, and hoping to alert me in any possible way.

'I'm coming!' I yelled from inside a locked bathroom down the hallway, wondering as soon as I did why on earth I even bothered since there was no way they could possibly hear me.

I managed to throw on my PJ shorts, and wrapped a towel around my upper half as quickly as I could. I sprinted to the door and unlocked it, and sure enough, John and Alice were standing there with briefcases in hand and me dripping everywhere.

'Oh, I see!' Alice exclaimed, at which point we all started laughing.

However, I couldn't stick around for the hellos, as I still desperately needed wringing-out.

So the professional relationship filled with intimidation and fear I spoke of a week ago? That train has long left the station.

In other news, I did not have to go luggage shopping today because Alice offered to lend me one of her carry-ons for my trip home. This delighted me to no end, as I know for sure it will fit carry-on regulations and I don't have to eyeball estimates, I don't have to haggle, and I can save money! After I get back to San Diego, I will simply drop the suitcase off at her house in La Jolla, and she can pick it up the next time she travels back in September.

I will say with caution that my departure logistics are actually shaping up smoothly.