A New Blue Jacket
So, 'tis Friday, and another week in lab is completed. Just like all things in life, once we get used to routine, events seem to pass so much faster. My first week here lasted for about ten years, and now there are only two weeks left in lab before I return home.
Today commenced for me at 3 am. Why? Because I'm an ebay junkie.
I set my alarm for 3 am for an auction that closed at 3:15 am my time, 12:15 pm PDT, and 8:15 pm British time. I only mention the last one because that's where the item's location happened to be.
This item--this once-in-a-lifetime-must-have-it-or-else-I'll-just-die item--is a fabulous retro Beatles-esque navy coat. (I promise I'm not nearly as materialistic or superficial as I sound, but this was too great to pass up.) While one always takes a chance buying clothing online, there was such interest around the world that I'm sure I would have absolutely no problem reselling it should I desire.
When I went to bed, the item was sitting at $7.84 US. Woohoo, maybe I could run off with this at a steal! Within the last ten minutes, apparently everyone from the U.S. to Spain to Britain had the same idea, and with one minute to go was at the mid-$30 mark. Adrenaline rushing, I told myself to be patient. The 30 second mark is my standard, and I must adhere it to it. 36-35-34-33-32-31...now! I punched in a max of $40.67 (the $.67 was completely arbitrary) and waited.
I was in bed with my laptop on my lap, the only light in the room from my screen, and I slightly moved my knees. Suddenly an 'X' appeared over the wireless icon in the upper right hand corner of my computer.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
I did not get up at 3 am for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I briefly considered pushing 'stop' then 'reload,' but there was no time. It either went through before the crisis or it didn't, and there was no going back now. Whether or not my bid processed, the auction was over.
I closed my eyes and clicked 'refresh,' clenching every muscle of my body. I then opened one eye to see the outcome.
Congratulations, you have won the item!
Ha-ha, Shannon the Sniper strikes again!
Apparently others out there bid at the exact same time and the system was trying to process, but my bid was ultimately the highest, just under my $40 limit.
Whew. 30 seconds later the computer was off and my head back on my pillow.
After completing my additional REM cycles, I arose at about 8:30 and headed off to lab at my normal 9:45 departure. As I suspected, there was nothing imminent to complete or new assignments to start yet, so I researched a couple new concepts that I wanted clarified, and read a big chunk of my GMO foods book. It really is a fascinating debate, and I have to say my own views have been modified somewhat after the facts that this author provides. Very interesting stuff, and I think given the population increases in future decades and the increasing disparity between the haves and have-nots, it's an issue any socially conscious person should really be aware of.
Anyway, I don't know what tomorrow holds. I might just get on the subway and randomly get off somewhere and go wherever the streets take me.
Or on second thought, maybe I'll develop a rough plan tomorrow morning. I think the streets have messed with me enough during my stay here.


<< Home